Monday, July 5, 2010

Back in time



The social media scene has been all a-Twitter today with news that Doc Brown set the DeLorean to enter the future on July 5, 2010 in the original "Back to the Future" 25 years ago. Turns out it's all a hoax, and someone had Photoshop and too much time on his hands.

So I guess Marty McFly didn't zip into today all those years ago. But it did get me to thinking about watching that movie 25 years ago. I was in junior high, and I saw it with my aunt Kathy and cousin Lonnie. I thought it was a great flick, if a bit farfetched. And I don't remember wondering what life would be like in 2010, but now I'm thinking that I would have had no idea how life would be right now.

For starters, I never imagined how my life would revolve around technology. That my iPhone would be permanently implanted in my hand. That I would incessantly check Facebook and Twitter for inane news from people I barely or don't even know.

I could not have imagined a life with DVR and satellite radio and iPods. A world full of laptops and iPads and on-demand movies.

Whatta ya know, Marty? The world is an interesting place in 2010. Wonder what gadgets we'll have by 2035?

No comments: