Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I give up

"Never make someone a priority in your life when you're merely an option in theirs."

I try to apply professional principles to personal relationships. If at first I don't get my way, I merely ask a different way, adjust my strategy, and eventually wear you down.

I don't like failure. I figure if I keep at something long enough I'll eventually master it. And I usually do.

Except when it comes to men. I continue to chase those who are running away quickly. I stay way too long at the party. I hold out hope for those who deleted me from their phones a long time ago.

It's been said--most likely by a woman--that the amount of time it takes to get over someone is about half the time you were with them. And even if you were never with them, the amount of time you pined for them feels like an investment on which you deserve a return.

Needless to say, it takes a lot for me to give up. And while men usually need the amount of time it takes to shower to forget the last girl, girls need time to grieve and be sad, time to obsess about what went wrong, and time for the love to turn into indifference.

Seldom does love die in flames. It usually simmers for a long time, until eventually the light is so dim that you forget why it shined so brightly in the first place.

And in that dim light, you find yourself wondering why you wasted your heart and your time on someone who wasn't worthy of your love or attention. You finally let go. And, if you're lucky, you have a perfectly timed message from another boy to show him just how over him you are. Because even if it's innocent, he doesn't need to know that.

Petty much?

No comments: