Sunday, August 15, 2010

The lady in red



My awesome friend Lori B invited me to go a fundraiser for Arkansas Children's Hospital last week, and I was so excited... great cause, good company, and the chance to get dressed up... how fun is that?

The event is called the "Color of Hope Gala," and every year they pick a different color. This year was red.

I'm a brunette. I love wearing red!

For a few days I searched local stores for the perfect red dress to no avail. So I finally ordered one online and paid $20 for expedited shipping.

It arrived two days before the event, and I excitedly tried it on. Um, no.

Just like a 747, certain items have shifted during flight. I looked totally boobalicious. Not only were they hanging low, they were spilling out the side. And, let's face it, when you're in your late 30s, even if you're skinny and still perky, there's only a small amount of skin you can show in good taste.

So I frantically went shopping on Thursday and finally bought a red dress. It was one I'd tried on a week before and deemed mediocre. But 24 hours before an event, mediocre was acceptable.

I showed up to the gala and the first three dresses I saw were black, white and gold, respectively. Cheaters.

But we had a fabulous time. Lori B seemed to enjoy my snarky comments about all the women with their hooters on full display. I enjoyed the young girl sitting near us who had both bottles of wine on our table and proceeded to accidentally make a large donation (her husband was mad!). And I got to meet Herschel Walker, who was lovely. All in all, it was an awesome time!

I think I was born to be fancy. I do so enjoy it.

No comments: