Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This one's for the girls

"I get by with a little help from my friends"
~Paul McCartney and John Lennon


I wonder how many problems have been solved over dinner and a cocktail.

It certainly always works for me, and I'm sure it does for others. Really, can't BP and the White House just sit down with crawfish and a hurricane and figure out this oil spill debacle?

Tonight, during one of my three-hour dinners with my pal Krista, we were discussing someone I knew whose husband cheated for decades and she never told a soul. I'm not certain if she didn't share because to do so would be to acknowledge the situation, or if she just didn't have any friends close enough with whom to discuss something so personal.

That just makes me sad.

Because even though I keep coming up empty-handed in the romance department, I've got friendship in spades. And I know that makes me so lucky. Because I don't just have an iPhone full of work-related contacts, I've got an address book full of women I can call to talk about important things or superficial things. Women I can cry with, women I can laugh with, women who will tease me mercilessly to my face yet stand up for me loyally behind my back.

And if I have to choose between one good man or all of the amazing women in my life, that choice is easy. So here's to all of you fantastically wonderful, delightfully amazing women who enrich my life and make it fun and fabulous. Thank you for the gift of your friendship.

If I ever did find Mr. Right and decide to have a wedding, I'd have to have 14 bridesmaids! That's how many close friendships I have. And I can't imagine my life without each and every one of you.

No comments: